It's been a long two years since Taco Bell's Mexican Pizza was discontinued, but come May 19, the menu item is making a permanent comeback. If you're itching to try a slice before then or just don't want to wait in line the day of, you're in luck because re-creating it is a fairly simple (and tasty) task.
According to the Taco Bell menu, the Mexican Pizza consists of six basic components: pizza shells, pizza sauce, refried beans, seasoned beef, a three-cheese blend, and tomatoes. Most of these are pretty self-explanatory, and a glance at the ingredients list will tell you that the three-cheese blend consists of mozzarella, cheddar, and Monterey Jack. Additionally, the seasoned beef can be replicated with a taco-seasoning packet, and the refried beans and tomatoes are, well, exactly what you'd expect.
The pizza shells and pizza sauce, however, appear to be a Taco Bell trade secret. Based on the crisp but not quite tostada-level texture, my best guess for the pizza shells was a fried, corn-and-flour-blend tortilla. The pizza sauce was a bit harder to nail, but a self-identified Taco Bell employee, who goes by @dhantbell on TikTok, shared that Taco Bell's red sauce is the closest thing to their pizza sauce. Going off of @dhantbell's insider knowledge and my distant memories of eating Mexican Pizza, I went with canned enchilada sauce mixed with jarred pico de gallo, and I'd say the taste was pretty spot on.
Figuring out the pizza sauce was really the only challenge because the rest is mostly assembly. All you have to do is spread refried beans and seasoned beef on a pizza shell, then add a second pizza shell layered with pizza sauce, cheese, and tomatoes. Stick it in the oven just until the cheese is melted, and it's ready to enjoy. It's too easy not to make at home, especially if you're already craving it. To learn how to make this copycat Mexican Pizza step by step, read ahead for the full recipe.
- 1 pound ground beef
1 packet taco seasoning
1 can refried beans
1 can enchilada sauce
1 jar pico de gallo
8 mini flour/corn tortillas
2 cups shredded Mexican cheese (mozzarella, cheddar, and Monterey Jack)
- Cook ground beef in a skillet over medium heat, and add taco seasoning.
- While the ground beef is cooking, heat refried beans in a separate saucepan, and prepare pizza sauce by mixing enchilada sauce with pico de gallo.
- In a separate pan, fry tortillas on both sides until golden.
- To assemble, take a fried tortilla and add a layer of refried beans, followed by a layer of ground beef.
- Top with a second tortilla, and add pizza sauce. Be sure to spoon on a moderate amount, otherwise the pizza shell may get too soggy.
- Sprinkle on shredded cheese and diced tomatoes, then place in the oven on the broil setting for one minute or just until the cheese has melted.
- Main Dishes, Pizza
- 4 pizzas
- Prep Time
- 30 minutes
- Cook Time
- 30 minutes
- Total Time
- 59 minutes, 59 seconds